Hair health is important if you want to keep that mane looking vibrant and lively well into your adult years. Using organic hair products can make a positive difference.
Here, we will discuss the basics about organic hair products and share a few of our favorites so that you can try them for yourself!
Our Favorite Organic Hair Products
You may wonder where to buy just natural organic hair products. We have tested the best hair products available and found our favorites.
No matter what your hair type may be, you’ll find a product made for you. We discovered the best organic hair products for men and women who have thick hair, curly hair, thin hair, and hair loss.
1. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner 13 oz
- RESTORES : Made from all natural ingredients, this conditioner, restores dry, damaged,…
- STRENGHTENS- Sea Kelp extracts used in the formulation of this conditioner are rich in…
- DETANGLES: Argan oil blended into this conditioner mositurizes dry, damaged curls and…
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner is one of the organic hair products for black hair that repairs and moisturizes damaged hair and promotes the elasticity curls need. If you color or bleach your hair, this product is highly recommended. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner.
Who Uses It: Men & Women
Best For: Curly hair
2. ArtNaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask
ArtNaturals Argan Hair Mask Conditioner – (8 Oz/226g) – Deep…
- Argan Oil: Argan oil is known for its ability to help hair restore, enhance and grow. The…
- For All Hair Types : Artnaturals argan oil shampoo and conditioner set is for both men and…
- Restorative Formula : Our natural and organic ingredients help repair hair damage and…
Art Naturals Hair Mask stimulate hair follicles and strengthens the hair shaft with keratin and silk amino acids. There are so many ways to damage your hair (coloring, heat, and exposure to sun), applying this argan hair mask can bring your hair back to life and leave your scalp feeling refreshed! Most noteworthy, it’s mild scent is great for those with strong odor sensitivities. Although it works best for those with thick hair, it still works wonders on thin hair, too.
Who Uses It: Men & Women
Best For: Thick Hair
3. Elizabeth Parker Naturals Deep Conditioner Treatment & Hair Thickener
Volumizing Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment – Hair Thickening Deep…
- FOR FULLER, THICKER, SHINIER HAIR. With this incredible conditioner, that can be your…
- HIGHLY CONCENTRATED. Our conditioner is full of concentrated active ingredients. That…
- ORGANIC, SULFATE FREE, PARABEN FREE, AND FRAGRANCE FREE. This conditioner is completely…
Elizabeth Parker Naturals Volumizing Conditioner is a concentrated sulfate free and paraben free organic hair thickening conditioner. They promise not to leave your hair weighted down or feeling greasy. Instead, you’ll be left with a volumized, shiny, and healthy mane. And if you decide it’s not for you, they offer a 100% money back guarantee.
Who Uses It: Women & Men
Best For: Thin Hair
4. Seven Minerals Anti Hair Loss Magnesium Spray
Seven Minerals Anti-hair Loss Magnesium Spray for Men and Women, 4 Oz
- NO TOXIC CHEMICALS: No sulphates, parabens or toxic chemicals. Just scalp food. The…
- IT WORKS: Our hair follicles can get blocked with things like calcium deposits, dandruff,…
- 100% NATURAL WITH ORGANICS: Made in the USA, with ionic Magnesium from 250million year old…
Seven Minerals Anti Hair Loss Magnesium Spray is a highly effective hair loss spray for men and women. Not only does it not contain any toxic chemicals, it also includes essential oils.
You should use this treatment for at least 90 days before expecting new hair growth. The best part: if there is any circumstance you are unhappy, there is a full refund.
However, it is highly recommended that you not use this product if you have any type of kidney failure.
Who Uses It: Men & Women
Best For: Hair Loss
5. Sky Organics USDA Castor Oil
Castor Oil (16oz) USDA Organic Cold-Pressed, 100% Pure, Hexane-Free…
- ETHICALLY MADE: Our Organic Castor Oil is sourced from small family farms in Kerala, India…
- GREAT FOR THE SKIN AND HAIR: Rich in vitamins and fatty-acids, castor oil promotes better…
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR AND SKIN TYPES: Made using organic, chemical-free substances, the…
Sky Organics USDA Castor Oil is a cold-pressed, additive-free oil that will increase the thickness of your hair, including eyebrows and eyelashes.
You can apply this oil to your hair by massaging it onto the scalp and let it stay in overnight (if possible) or 30 minutes before rinsing. It can also be used for your face and lips.
Who Uses It: Men & Women
Best For: Hair Growth
What Makes A Hair Product Organic?
The more natural, agricultural ingredients a product has, the more organic it is. Organic products contain mainly agrarian ingredients as opposed to chemicals such as parabens and sulfates. Although, a hair product made of chemicals may contain a low percentage of organic ingredients-these will be in the ingredient list.
Organic Hair Products vs Traditional Hair Products
Are organic shampoos better for your hair? Absolutely. The best organic shampoo brands and hair products do not contain chemicals or harmful additives. Using organic hair products will keep your hair manageable and healthy.Traditional hair products contain drying alcohols and surfactants. If you have dyed hair, using traditional products will strip your hair color. There are products intended for smoothing your hair that release formaldehyde when heated.
Are Organic Hair Products Regulated by the FDA?
Hair products are considered cosmetic by the FDA. According to the FDA, it is against the law to have any ingredient in a cosmetic product that would make it harmful when used as intended. While companies are held responsible for the safety of their products, they are not subject to FDA approval to enter the market.There are no specific tests required by the FDA to show the safety of a particular ingredient. The FDA is not authorized to recall cosmetics which have been found to have dangerous ingredients and can only request removal of the ingredient.
Ingredients to Avoid in Hair Products
When looking at traditional shampoos, it is highly likely that you will come across these commonly used chemicals:
- Parabens: These chemicals are endocrine disruptors which have a negative effect on your hormones.
- Polyethylene glycol: This is a toxic ingredient made with organic alcohol that you find in traditional shampoo and conditioner.
- Synthetic fragrance: These artificial fragrances are known immune system toxicants; ingredients listed as fragrance are often a mixture of scent chemicals such as diethyl phthalate.
Ingredients to Look for In Organic Hair Products
There are many natural ingredients that provide many different benefits. Look for products that are natural or that you can find in nature such as essential oils, extracts, nut butter, and acids derived from fruits.
You may come across the following ingredients in non-chemical hair care products:
- Shea butter: Contains many fatty acids that form a protective seal that keeps hair moisturized.
- Vegetable glycerin: A natural humectant that creates a beneficial oil layer on the hair strand.
- Tamanu oil: This natural oil is effective against hair loss.
- Rosemary leaf extract: This ingredient increases the shelf life of hair products and promotes hair growth.
- Fruit extracts: Fruits contain alpha hydroxy acids which dissolve dead skin cells, are rich in antioxidants and provide vitamins and minerals to the skin.
- Essential oils: Cedarwood essential oil is used to treat alopecia, petitgrain essential oil is a natural antiseptic for dandruff, and patchouli oil helps reverse hair loss.
Other Ideas for Keeping Your Hair Healthy
For healthy hair, it’s important to eat nutrient-rich foods. Drink as much water as you need for your lifestyle and weight. For example, an athlete is likely going to consume more water than most people. Your nutrient levels such as iron affect the health of your hair. The way that you treat your hair is going to have a significant impact on your hair breakage.
Reduce breakage by brushing your hair from the bottom to the top with a wooden brush rather than pulling straight down from the root of your hair. Avoid hairstyles that pull on your hair and stress your scalp. Only use heat when necessary and avoid excessive use of your blow dryer or straightener.
Continue using natural hair products in your personal care regimen. You can retain a great deal of hair length and health by using organic hair products and avoiding chemicals that dry out your hair and irritate your follicles.