Whether you’re headed to the beach for a summer holiday weekend or going skiing in the middle of winter, the best organic sunscreen is essential to wear even on overcast days.
There are dozens of sunscreens on the market, but some of them contain harmful chemicals. Check out the some of the best organic sunscreen options.
Sunscreen is a “must wear” from everyone in your family, and ideally, it should be worn every day, year-round, and regardless of full-sun or partly cloudy. If you’re trying to use more natural health and beauty products, you may have a hard time finding the best organic sunscreen, or you’re overwhelmed by your choices.
You should never skip the sunscreen just because you haven’t found a product that you love. We’ll give you some of the best sunscreen options on the market, so you and your loved one are never left unprotected by the sun’s harmful rays.
How We Choose Our Ratings
If you’ve shopped around for natural, organic sunscreens, you may have noticed that there are more options to choose from, especially in the last few years. While this is a good sign that manufacturers and consumers are rethinking the safety of chemical sunscreens, it can be hard to decide which organic sunscreen is the best for you.
Not only does shopping around and testing out various sunscreens take a lot of time that you’d rather spend doing something else, but it can also end up being expensive. We take a look at the options, do the research, and write the reviews so you can make a confident decision more quickly.
How do we determine the best organic sunscreen among the dozens of others?
We scour the Internet reading reviews and consider all user feedback (even if it’s less than positive). Even if we love a product and have tested it out on ourselves, we won’t recommend it without doing adequate research. We use a five-star rating system to rate our best organic sunscreen, and five stars mean that we found a sunscreen that exceeds all of our expectations and has received mostly positive reviews online.
We typically don’t give all of our products five-stars, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t good products; it’s just not our best overall pick.
Review Of The 5 Best Organic Sunscreen
Now that you have a better understanding as to how our rating system works. Let’s take a closer look at our top five picks for best organic sunscreen. We always start our list with our “best overall” pick and then recommend other excellent options.
Remember, just because a sunscreen doesn’t get a full five-star rating, it doesn’t mean it’s not a good product. We only recommend products that we would use ourselves. Here are five organic sunscreens that are worth trying out before you head out into the sun.
- This fragrance free formula is water resistant and works great as a base under make-up.
- What’s more, Kiss My Face procures non-nano minerals for use in our sunscreen.
Topping the best organic sunscreen list is by Kiss My Face. It has over three decades of experience creating organic health and beauty products for young and old alike. The company got their start on a 200-acre farm, and their passion for all things natural still lives on today.
While the company makes a variety of highly-rated organic sunscreens (such as Baby and Sport), we reviewed the Kiss My Face Sunscreen SPF 30 Sunblock for Face and Neck.
If you are looking for a full-body sunscreen, you can check out other organic sunscreens in the Kiss My Face product line.
Ingredients include zinc oxide aloe, sunflower oil, green tea leaf extract, cucumber fruit extract, and licorice extract. This 2-ounce tube of sunscreen does contain under 10 percent of both octinoxate and octisalate. It does not contain parabens and Kiss My Face never tests on animals.
For best results, the sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapply after 40 minutes of swimming or sweating. This sunscreen is safe for children, but always ask a doctor when using on an infant under six months of age.
- Many users love this sunscreen because it doesn’t leave a white residue on the face and it doesn’t have a heavy feel like other natural sunscreens.
- Some users experienced skin irritation, although overall feedback for the organic sunscreen is positive.
- Silky, transparent, vitamin and antioxidant-rich, COOLA SPF 30 Moisturizing Face sunscreen…
- Formulated with over 70% certified organic extracts including cucumber, rose hips, and…
- Perfect as an everyday moisturizer and great under make-up.
COOLA is a California-based company that manufactures organic sunscreen and other beauty products. In true California fashion, COOLA wants its customers to continue to enjoy the sun, but more safely and with their health and the environment in mind.
COOLA Organic Suncare Sunscreen is a broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen with a light cucumber scent.
It’s a hypoallergenic formula that’s free from parabens and oxybenzone and contains 70 percent certified organic ingredients.
Ingredients include evening primrose, linseed, safflower, and acai oils. Phyto-protector plankton stimulates and rejuvenates damaged skin. This sunscreen is loaded with antioxidants, including omegas and vitamins.
Available in a 1.7-ounce tube, makers of COOLA sunscreen recommend applying the sunscreen about 15 minutes before heading out into the sun and reapplying every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Most users like the lightweight formula and that it doesn’t leave white streaks like other natural sunscreens.
- Some users did not like the sunscreen because it isn’t 100 percent organic. Also, while some users said the sunscreen doesn’t feel greasy, others complain that it does.
- 100% Non Nano Zinc Oxide as Active Ingredient
- Made Safe Certified
- Formulated over 70% Organic Ingredients
Babo Botanicals has been in operation for over five years and was started after the founder was looking for safe and organic health and beauty products after her son was born.
This product is named after the son’s stuffed bunny, has grown to offer a variety of organic products; they have several highly-rated sunscreens.
We reviewed the Babo Botanicals Super Shield SPF 50 Natural Sport Stick because it’s designed to provide sun protection for heavy sweating and during water sports; the stick option is an alternative to traditional sunscreen lotion.
The sunscreen stick is 70 percent certified organic and contains 100 percent non-nano zinc sunscreen. It’s also fragrance free, hypoallergenic, and doesn’t contain parabens. Babo Botanicals never tests on animals.
Ingredients in the 0.6-ounce stick include 17 percent zinc oxide, beeswax, shea butter, cannabis sativa seed oil, rice bran oil, avocado and jojoba oil, and cocoa butter. For best results, the sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every two hours.
- Many users like the convenience of the small stick and how easily the sunscreen blends into the skin.
- Most complaints about the sunscreen are in regards to the small size and the price for the small amount of sunscreen.
- One 6 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Coconut Hawaiian Clear Spray SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Lightweight sunscreen made with coconut extract, shea butter and avocado oil
- Provides broad spectrum protection, is water resistant for up to 80 minutes and is coral…
Alba Botanica has been creating a wide variety of organic and cruelty-free health and beauty products since 1979. While Alba Botanica makes several different sunscreens, we chose to review their spray sunscreen as it’s a popular form of sunscreen that many people use.
Alba Botanica Hawaiian Spray Sunscreen SPF 50 has 100 percent vegetarian ingredients and no parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances.
Ingredients include avocado oil, aloe juice, coconut fruit extract, apricot fruit extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, and shea butter.
For best results, the spray sunscreen should be applied to the hand first and use the hand to put sunscreen on the face. The sunscreen should always be used in a well-ventilated area and about four to six inches away from the body.
Like other sunscreens, the sunscreen should be applied about 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapplying at least every two hours (or sooner after sweating or swimming). The 6-ounce can is designed to spray at any angle, is eco-friendly and aerosol-free.
- Many users like the easy application and like the lightweight moisturizing formula.
- Other users were unsatisfied with the sun protection and some experienced skin irritation. Users who don’t like the spray version may have better luck with some of the other Alba Botanica sunscreens.
- POWERFUL PROTECTION FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – Broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 coverage offers…
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC MINERAL SUNSCREEN – Our Everyday formula uses non-nano zinc oxide and…
- HOW MINERAL SUNSCREENS WORK – Unlike chemical sunscreens, mineral/physical sunscreens…
Goddess Garden Organics is a family-owned company that’s based out of Boulder, Colorado. One of the company’s first missions is to create skincare products that are use zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, not ingredients like oxybenzone or parabens.
The company started out small in 2005 and slowly expanded their organic product line.Goddess Garden Organics Everyday Natural Sunscreen is 100 percent biodegradable, vegan-friendly, and is safe for all types of skin.
Ingredients include aloe, shea butter, coconut oil, lavender oil, and Vitamin E. The sunscreen is available in a 6-ounce tube.
Since this natural sunscreen is mineral-based, the company recommends some tips for applying it more easily. The sunscreen applies easier to moisturized skin and one small area at a time. If the sunscreen appears white on the skin, keep rubbing it in until it’s blended in well.
- Many users of the sunscreen are happy with the long-lasting, water-resistant formula and were satisfied with it once they learned how to apply the sunscreen (the helpful tips from the company).
- Some users didn’t like the thick sunscreen and found it hard to apply. Overall, the feedback is well-balanced between those who loved it and those who were underwhelmed by the sunscreen.
What Makes The Best Sunscreen Organic?
When it comes to organic beauty and health products, it can be difficult to know the difference between organic and “regular” products, primarily if they are designed to work the same. Chemical sunscreen contains a variety of synthetic ingredients, which include oxybenzone and octinoxate.
They are effective at protecting the skin from UV rays because they absorb into the skin. Some people experience skin irritation and other reactions when using sunscreen that contains these chemicals.
Let’s take a quick look at the common chemicals in most non-organic sunscreens and see what can happen when they are exposed to UV rays:
- Oxybenzone: May disrupt hormones and make the endocrine system imbalanced
- Octinoxate: Effects estrogen and may cause premature aging
- Retinyl Palmitate: May speed up malignant tumor cells or skin tumors
- Homosalate: Builds up faster than our body can get rid of it; may disrupt hormones
- Octocrylene: May cause cell damage and mutations
- Parabens: Toxic to hormones and reproductive systems
Some of the best organic sunscreens should have few to none of these ingredients and made from all-natural ingredients. Natural sunscreens are typically mineral-based, and titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are responsible for blocking UV rays.
Best Organic Sunscreen: Things To Consider Before Buying
As you may have noticed there are not any high-rated organic sunscreens that are 100 percent certified organic. You may also notice that some of the sunscreens in our top picks contained some small traces of ingredients that are found in traditional chemical sunscreens.
While most organic and natural sunscreens contain fewer synthetic chemicals than other sunscreens on the market, you may have a hard time finding a sunscreen that doesn’t contain any of the chemicals we mentioned earlier in our review.
Read the label
The best way to determine if a sunscreen is right for you is to read the label. If you have sensitive skin or other needs beyond standard sun protection, it’s important to pay close attention to the ingredients and the SPF number.
Keep in mind that many of the organic sunscreens that we chose as out favorites are part of extensive sunscreen collections within a company. Didn’t find a sunscreen that suits your needs? Check out other sunscreens made by the company (i.e. Alba Botanica or Kiss My Face).