If paint brushes are the tool by which great artists create captivating works, then makeup brushes are the equivalent instrument for constructing your unique, expressive, and chic makeup look. Makeup brushes are an essential tool for the complete cosmetic bag, tailored for a variety of uses, makeup applications, and personal tastes. From bristles designed for contouring and foundation application to small brushes meant for blending eyeshadow and applying the perfect red lip, there is no shortage of best makeup brushes on the market made for every preference and purpose.
With so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to know which brushes are the best to snap up and which ones you should leave on the store shelves. To simplify the situation, we put together a comprehensive list of the 10 best makeup brushes you need to add to your beauty bag. Our selections are favored by top makeup professionals in the beauty industry and are perfect for applying your look with ease for a dazzling finish.
1. Why Use Makeup Brushes?
Wielding makeup brushes can appear a complicated art, but in reality, it is very simple to use them for your daily cosmetic applications. Many people prefer to use their fingers or sponges to apply makeup, but brushes are a valuable tool that should be included in every complete beauty bag.
For one thing, brushes are easier to keep clean and transport fewer bacteria to the face than other methods. They are easily washed after frequent use and apply makeup more flawlessly and succinctly. Makeup brushes are essential for you to attain full coverage and ensure adequate blending consistency.
2. How Do You Use Makeup Brushes?
Certainly, there is an endless assortment of types and brands when it comes to makeup brushes. Our list of the 10 best makeup brushes will narrow this down for you. There are makeup brushes for nearly every use you can possibly imagine, in all shapes and sizes based on purpose.
There are brushes for foundation and powder application, filling increases, eyeshadow and eyeliner, lipstick, highlighter, blush, bronzer, and even for setting your makeup look. The list goes on, but these are the main and most common uses.
3. Where Can You Buy Them?
Makeup brushes can be found at your local store, a pharmacy, a beauty retailer, and online. For your shopping ease, all of our top 10 best makeup brushes listed and linked can be easily ordered off of Amazon at competitive prices.
4. Price Range
The products we chose range in price from around $7.00-$150.00.
How We Reviewed Our 10 Best Makeup Brushes
All of the products we chose for our list were reviewed based on strict parameters, including their featured uses, pros & cons, price, and ease of purchase. We made sure that the brushes we chose are used and recommended by respected beauty industry professionals and gurus who know their craft and thus can pass on all their essential beauty tips.
Every brush was further reviewed for consistency and longevity of use, quality, and function. The best makeup brushes are those that are tailored to seamlessly apply long-lasting makeup, can be used over and over again without wearing them down, and effortlessly contour and glide cosmetics against your skin.
Overall Price Range Of This Product and Similar Products)
The least expensive brush we chose can be purchased on Amazon for around $7.00, while the most expensive can be found for approximately $150.00. Brush prices vary mostly according to use and brand. It is completely possible to find brushes of good quality at a lower price, but some of the best do come at a steeper cost.
For example, one of the brushes listed costs around $8.00 and is designed for highlighting only. However, the most expensive product on our list of the 10 best makeup brushes is specifically made for applying foundation and is sold by a premier brand.
What We Reviewed
- Artis Elite Mirror Oval 8 Brush
- Tom Ford Eye Shadow Blend Brush 13
- It Cosmetics Boutique Blush Brush
- Laura Mercier Flat Eye Liner Brush
- MAC 219 Pencil Brush
- Morphe M310 Large Soft Fan
- Real Techniques Powder Brush
- Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush 02
- Bobbi Brown Blush Brush
- Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt Brush
The first in our selection of best makeup brushes is the Artis Elite Mirror Oval 8 Brush. The brush is primarily meant for applying foundation, but can easily be used with powder or bronzer products. It feels soft like a feather when it touches the skin, blending the makeup effortlessly for a smooth and lightweight finish.
Crafted differently than your typical makeup brush, the Artis Elite Mirror Oval 8 has its fibers on the side like a regular brush instead of flowing outwards from the end. It is efficient and gently integrates your makeup into the skin for long-wear use.
- Lightweight and blends easily.
- Ideal for applying all cream, powder or liquid products.
- The side bristles design may take some getting used to for those who are not experienced with applying makeup with brushes.
- Comes at a higher price point.
Next on our list of best makeup brushes is the Tom Ford Eye Shadow Blend Brush 13. As its name indicates, this particular brush is designed specifically for applying and blending eyeshadow products. It is small and lightweight.
The bristles are gentle for blending but have the ability to retain plenty of pigment if you are going for a bolder eye look. It is ideally shaped for blending your eyeshadow effortlessly along the crease for a long-wear, contoured finish.
- Small, lightweight, and easy to use.
- Blends eyeshadow seamlessly and retains color for ease of application.
- For those searching for multi-purpose brushes, this one is designed for applying eyeshadow only.
- Comes at a high price point.
Another one of the best makeup brushes which offer more bang for your buck is It Cosmetics’ Boutique Blush Brush. It is useful not only for applying blush but also for contouring your features. The bristles are angled and specifically designed to blend into and work with the contours and lines of your face.
- Easy to use for multiple types of makeup applications.
- Comes at a more budget-friendly price point.
- If you do not wear blush or any contouring products, this brush may not be ideal for you.
- The brush is better suited to powder products rather than cream or liquid.
Another one of our top picks for best makeup brushes, the Laura Mercier Flat Eye Liner Brush is perfect for applying gel, cake, or cream liner close to the lash line. It makes for a smooth, defined application for long-wear use. The brush also functions as a two-in-one, as it is perfect for flawless lipstick application.
- The brush works as both an eyeliner and lipstick applicator.
- Comes a budget-friendly price point.
- If looking to apply a less-defined line, some may find the brush too thick for their personal taste.
- It may take practice to achieve a smooth application if you are unaccustomed to using a flat eyeliner brush.
MAC is definitely one of the top brands when it comes to quality, versatile cosmetic products, applicators, and brushes. MAC’s 219 pencil brush makes our list of the 10 best makeup brushes, as it is uniquely designed to allow for a variety of personal beauty methods while producing the same, flawless results. It is especially helpful if you are looking to sharply define and shade your eyes.
- Ideal for precise makeup application to the eyes.
- Particularly designed for maximum shade and definition.
- Comes in at a more median price point.
- Bristles may be scratchy and irritate sensitive eyes.
Next on our list of the 10 best makeup brushes is the Morphe M310 Large Soft Fan brush. It is affordable and is quintessential for brushing off any extra powder if you want to lighten your look. It is also perfect for adding a little color to your cheeks or highlighting your nose and collarbone area for a sculpted finish.
- Cost effective.
- Creates a naturally sculpted look on face and body.
- Its goat bristles may irritate sensitive skin types.
- Designed more for finishing off your makeup look rather than for completing your entire face.
Not only is this mighty little tool one of our favorites among the 10 best makeup brushes; it is another budget-friendly product that does not sacrifice quality. The Real Techniques Powder Brush was specifically tailored for individuals looking to use quality tools for makeup application without breaking the bank. It is an ideal selection for anyone who is new to using makeup brushes.
- Very affordable.
- Quality product that is easy to use.
- Designed for powder application only.
- May not wash as well as other brushes.
The most expensive on our list of the 10 best makeup brushes, the Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush 02 serves as a highly luxurious applicator. It immaculately blends your makeup into your skin for a beautiful, matte look that lasts all day and into the night. An investment to be sure, the brush is suitable for long-term use and multiple washes and remains a staple in any beauty bag for years to come.
- Creates a perfect finish for your skin.
- High-quality fibers that will last for years of use.
- Comes at a steep price point.
- Only available in one size.
The Bobbi Brown Blush Brush makes our list of the 10 best makeup brushes for its exceptional fiber quality and lightweight bristles which soothe the skin with each application. The brush is rounded for optimal, subtle blush application.
- Soft, lightweight, quality bristles.
- Easy to use for even application.
- Comes at a median price point.
- Designed for blush application only, so it may not be not ideal for those who tend to forego blush.
Our final selection among the top 10 best makeup brushes is the Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt Brush. As one of many products designed by the unparalleled beauty guru, this brush is perfect for multi-purpose use. In fact, it works well for blush, contouring, or powder application.
- Versatile for use with multiple types of products.
- Quality product designed for longevity.
- Comes at a higher price point.
- May not be as easy to use for makeup brush beginners.
Each of our 10 best makeup brushes selected to cater to varying budgets and levels of makeup application proficiency. There is truly something for everyone on this list. If you are a beginner, just starting to use makeup brushes and do not want to invest too much money just yet, the Morphe M310 Large Soft Fan Brush and Real Techniques Powder Brush will hands-down be the most viable options for you.
On the other hand, if you are a pro at contouring, highlighting, and blending, and want to make a long-term investment for your makeup bag, consider the brushes by Charlotte Tilbury, Tom Ford, or Artis. The Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, MAC, and IT Cosmetics selections are also strong contenders for quality brushes if you are looking to stay within a more median price point.